You might be surprised to know that both Jess and I are vegan! The stories of how we are both got there vary, my journey started when I was just 11, whilst Jess has been much more recent but what we do have in common is that the decision to become vegan was not taken lightly and now plays a very important role in the way we buy and consume everything from food and drink to clothes and beauty products.
2017 marked my 20th year as a vegetarian and in that time I have experienced various views on my decisions, some positive, others not so. My choice to become vegetarian and now vegan was a personal one, I have never pushed my beliefs onto others, nor would I ever do that – I have been with my fiance for 5 years now and he is still very much a ‘meat eater’. However, I do believe we all have a responsibility to ensure the choices we make will not leave a lasting effect on our planet once we are gone and the recent shift towards veganism in more mainstream society does suggest that many people are also of the same opinion.
The vegan movement is well underway, with Vogue recently naming vegan food as a top wedding trend for 2017. As delighted as I am to hear that however, I do hope it’s more than just a trend but, for now I do believe it is a step in the right direction. So to celebrate I decided it would be fun to round up some of my favourite vegan brands for my fellow veganistas, as I know they can be hard to find. You might even find some of these useful if you, like me, are planning a vegan wedding.
1. Minkiemoo Bakery: I for one, can vouch for how tasty these cakes are! In fact Debbie was the designer of the cake you can see above which featured in the promo for our new website launch. You can more of it in action here, including Jess dipping a naughty finger
2. Raw Passion: Totally ‘Rawsome’ 100% organic, vegan, ethical, cruelty free skin care products, exactly what your skin needs!
4. Vegways: These 100% vegan wines are the only certified BioVegan Fine Wine that comes in a Box and satisfies the vegan (and non-vegan) wine-lovers among us who are keen to avoid the many environmental issues caused by the use of glass bottles. The boxes contains Red, White and Rosé wines – I’ll have 20!
5. Scenitmental Jars: These candles are totally vegan friendly as they are made from soy wax instead of bees wax.
6. Beyond Skin: Did you know it is now possible to be stylish and cruelty free? Fret not! No humans, animals or small children were harmed in the making of these vegan shoes. Beyond Skin are an ethical footwear label, passionately doing what they can to trade in a manner that is kind to our fellow humans, animals and wherever possible our precious planet.
7. Hippy Pits: Helping you live like a hippy, without smelling like one!
8. Lush: Those of you who watch our Insta stories will have seen us take part in a Lush workshop for Sophies Hen and it was just too wonderful for words. I loved smelling all the delicious ingredients that went into making their products and it just made me love them even more!
9. Vegan Weddings: An amazing new directory for vegan wedding suppliers! If you ask me this is going to make wedding planner 100% easier!
10. Lilah B: My latest makeup obsession! These products are cruelty free, vegan and minimalist, not only in their chic design but many of the products are two in one, meaning less is more!
They are just a handful of awesome brands that are doing all they can to make a difference but I am sure there are loads more, so hit me up with all your favourites! I have a vegan wedding to plan and I could do with as much help as I can get…